Saturday, October 31, 2009

The sun!

Finally, sunshine! Everything is awfully soggy but we got outdoors and the animals loved it. Here’s an update picture of Mopple I took while he was grazing—not a good one but it shows his new, woolly coat.

The goats were in especially high spirits today. A bunch of does came in heat and lounged around Martok’s pen all day making goo-goo eyes while he blubbered and whooped and strutted. The poor guy’s nose is chapped from peeing on himself so much. It must be a strange life, being a buck goat!

Today I let Bon Bon’s twins, Curzon and Jadzia, out with the others to see if weaning finally took. After the first month’s separation, Bon Bon let them pick up nursing exactly where they let off. Not this time; she was having none of it, so unless they pester her so much this evening that she lets down her resolve, they’re back with Bon Bon and Latifah in the dairy shelter for good.

I shot this picture of Jadzia and one of my little Cheviot wethers (Baaxter) today. Jadzia is doing her “let’s smash our heads together” warm-up dance while a bemused Baaxter thinks, “What is wrong with this loony goat?”

Only seconds after I pressed the shutter, he took a few quick steps back and then charged and whacked her.

She stalked away in a huff, muttering that “stupid sheep don’t play fair, they smash before dancing!”

2 comments:

  1. Cute blog, Sue! :) We are busy at work on our 2010 seed catalog. I tried to find your email online, but alas couldn't locate it; so if you wouldn't mind dropping me a line via the email address on our site (rareseeds.com) I'd love to get in touch with you about the May festival in 2010.

    Thanks!
    Emilee Gettle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I adore that photo! I'm getting ready to introduce the Pygmy goats to the Katahdin sheep, so I will be certain to have my camera ready! Yay!!!!

    ReplyDelete